Let Me Handle your case.
Doug Small—Personal Injury Attorney in South Bend, IN
Thanks for visiting our website. If you are a prospective client, you may be facing, or have faced, some very difficult and challenging circumstances due to injury or other loss. If so, chances are we can be of great help to you here at Foley & Small.
I have been working with clients and their families for more than 30 years handling cases spanning from Rhode Island to California in state and federal courts. Perhaps as important is the experience of our staff. Beverly Paluzzi has been working with me for more than 30 years and Patti Watson has been with me for more than 15 years. All of our staff members have at least several years of experience and, perhaps most importantly, are compassionate human beings who understand what our clients and their families are going through.
In preparing a case, we have an investigator who will obtain photographs, statements and other evidence. We retain experts to review and help present the case, including accident reconstructionists, engineers, accountants, doctors and others necessary to effectively present the facts. We help with the resolution of medical and other bills and in dealing with insurance issues. We will meet at different times during the case and reach out by telephone and email, so you are up to speed and to help us in moving forward.
There are two personal items I want to share. I was born in a small town in northern Indiana and by the time I was in elementary school knew I either want to be a doctor or lawyer. The reason for that was because I wanted to help people deal the with the issues that come up during their lives. It was while I was an undergraduate student at Indiana University, taking classes in history, sociology, political science and economics, that I realized that my heart favored a career in the law. I have never regretted the choice and have experienced great satisfaction in helping what is now thousands of clients over the years.
The other item to share is that my younger brother, my only sibling, was tragically killed in an automobile accident two weeks before his 21st birthday. It was and is the greatest loss I have ever experienced and I know the same is true for my parents. From that loss, I learned that each of us deal with tragedy and grief in our own way. Consequently, I do not presume to know exactly what my client is feeling following a loss or injury. On the other hand, I do have empathy and some understanding for what they’re going through given the tragedy we experienced. I think it helps make me a better lawyer and, perhaps, a wiser human being. It would be our privilege to be of help to you and your family.
- Knox (Indiana) High School, 1972- 1976
- Franklin College, Franklin, Indiana, Fall Semester 1976
- Indiana University, 1977-1980, B.A., History, Honors & High Distinction, Phi Beta Kappa
- Indiana University Law School, 1980-1983, J.D., cum laude
National Moot Court Team
- Foley & Small, Attorney, Partner, 1995 to present (Personal Injury, Product Liability, General Litigation)
- Barnes & Thornburg – South Bend Office, Associate 1983-1989; Partner 1989-1994 (Personal Injury, Product Liability, Labor Litigation, General Litigation)
- Admitted to practice before all Indiana state courts, in federal district courts in Indiana, Rhode Island, West Virginia, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Louisiana; in the federal Court of Appeals for the Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Circuits and in the District of Columbia Court of Appeals; and before the United States Supreme Court
- American Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- St. Joseph County Bar Association
- American Association of Justice
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers
Sample Reported Decisions:
- Robertson v. Anonymous Clinic, 63 N.E.3d 349 (Ind. App. 2016), transfer denied., 80 N.E.3d 180 (Ind. 2017
- Haag v. Castro, 934 N.E.2d 189 (Ind. App. 2010)
- Schlosser v. Rock Industries, Inc., 805 N.E.2d 1140 (Ind. 2004)
- Schlosser v. Rock Industries, Inc., 796 N.E.2d 350 (Ind. App. 2003)
- Candlewood Apartments, L.P. v. Goen, 874 N.E.2d 1081 (Ind. App. 2007); 2007 WL 3025909
- Cox v. Paul, 828 N.E.2d (Ind. 2005)
- Cox v. Paul, 805 N.E.2d 901 (Ind. App 2004)
- Penn Harris Madison School Corp. v. Howard, 861 N.E.2d 1190 (Ind. 2007) 216 Ed. Law Rep. 931
- Penn Harris Madison School Corp. v. Howard, 832 N.E.2d 1013 (Ind. App. 2006) 200 Ed. Law Rep. 869
- Diaz v. Bastian Material Handling Corp., 2006 WL 3742183 (Ind. App. 2006), Prod.Liab.Rep. (CCH) P 17,666,
- Becker v. Four Points Inv. Corp., 708 N.E.2d 29 (Ind. App. 1999)
- Stowers v. Norwest Bank Indiana, N.A., 624 N.E.2d 485 (Ind.App. 1993)
- Mingo v. Urban League of South Bend, 1994 WL 594611 (N.D. Ind. 1994)
- South Bend Community School Corp. v. Portage Tp. of St. Joseph County, 520 N.E.2d 446 (Ind. App. 1988) 45 Ed. Law Rep. 1212
- Frame v. South Bend Community School Corp., 480 N.E.2d 261 (Ind. App 1985), 26 Ed. Law Rep. 397
Civic, Philanthropic and Social Organizations:
- Volunteer Mentor, South Bend Community School Corp.
- Member, Christ the King Lutheran Church
- Past Board Member, Samaritan Counseling Center
- Past Board Member, Indiana University School of Law Alumni Association
- Past Board Member, St. Joseph County Bar Association